People with skin problems are often coming for homeopathic treatment after they are not being helped by conventional treatments. Antibiotics, antihistamines and steroids are on offer to manage skin complaints and these may help in the short term, but can become ineffective over time or less well tolerated. Patients are worried about the long-term effects of using strong topical corticosteroid cream, which can cause atrophy or thinning of the top layer of the skin. 

Skin problems that are difficult to treat and frequently referred to homeopathic practitioners includes eczema,acne, psoriasis, urticaria, molluscum contagiosum, seborrhoeic dermatitis, rosacea, vitiligo and alopecia areata. In addition homeopathy is used by podiatrists to treat conditions like verrucae, corns and bunions. Creams, tinctures, oils, and Marigold Therapy are used alongside homeopathic medicines.

Eczema / Dermatitis

The terms eczema and dermatitis are now used synonymously. They refer to a distinctive reaction pattern of the skin showing a combination of signs which depend on the duration of rash and type of eczema.

There are several types of eczema, which affect children and adults, and have different causes. The two most common forms are atopic dermatitis (Exogenous) and contact dermatitis (Endogenous). 

Child skin problems

Wondering what that rash, welt, or bump on your child's skin is? Infection, allergies, and temperature extremes are often behind the skin conditions seen in babies and children -- and many are minor and easily treated.

You can learn to recognize some of the most common conditions -- but remember: always consult a doctor for proper diagnoses and treatment.

Adult skin problems

Is your skin itching, breaking out, covered in a rash, or playing host to strange spots? Skin inflammation, changes in texture or color, and spots may be the result of infection, a chronic skin condition, or contact with an allergen or irritant.

You can learn to recognize common adult skin problems. Yet, while many are minor, they may signal something more serious, so always consult a doctor for proper diagnosis.